Monday, June 23, 2008

My Town Monday - Poppies!





Well its that time again, My Town Monday. Today has been one of those glorious Balmy summery days that you have to make the most of here in England, one blink and it will be Autumn and Pumpkin time again. As I write this the temperature outside is a very nice 23.6 C. The wind is blowing and it makes you feel good to be alive.
Sunday afternoon we took a trip to a local Pub, (the Crooked Chimney, a subject for an up coming post !!) When we noticed these stunning Poppies growing in a field next door, judging by the path that had been worn through the nettles from the car park we are not the first people to discover these beauties!!
Poppies look so delicate as they are blown around in the breeze, but they are deceptive, they blow almost flat and then spring back up again.There are hundreds of buds so I expect there will be a spectacular show for a few more weeks yet. There didn't seem to be anything else growing in the field apart from wild flowers, daisies, forget me nots, blue speedwell, Huge Thistles and scarlet pimpernel. I hope they all set loads of seed and come back next year.

16 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh my....your photos are so GORGEOUS!! Glad you were captured in one of the photos....you deserve to be featured among all those pretty flowers!

Have a great day!
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Is that an English Rose I see amongst the poppies..
Beautiful..

Katie said...

Hiya Lizzie
What glorious photographs. I love poppies. I can feel the warmth of the sun and feel the breeze, bliss!!
We had gale force winds here, literally, they did so much damage in my garden.....again!

Love
Katie
x

Suzanne said...

Would much rather be in the field of poppies than in my office!! Beautiful pictures. Sue :o)

Travis Erwin said...

Great shots. The pubs and bars near me have nothing beside them but cigarette butts and broken glass littered asphalt.

GlitteryKatie said...

...ONLY the crumbliest , flakiest chocolate...tastes like chocolate never tasted before!!!

I see a boho Lyzzy there!!
Beautiful photies Miss Lyzzy!

Anonymous said...

I love your photos! Thank you for sharing them.

Kim Marie said...

Wow, Lyzzy! This is so beautiful! and you look lovely among the blossoms! Very very pretty!
Kim Marie

Manna said...

Simply GORGEOUS!

suebaru said...

Ooob, may have to go to the Crooked chimey for lunch this week! Fab photos, catch up with you soon:)

Alex said...

Oooh, what beautiful photos Lyzzy, I would love to get to take some shots there! You look beautiful in all those flowers....can't wait to hear the pub story! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Barbara Martin said...

Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos. They certainly highlighted my day, as it has been thunderstorms, one after the other this afternoon.

Posts can be just around the corner.

domestic goddess said...

gorgeous field, gorgeous photo

Debbielou said...

Love the photo Lyzzy - Beautiful!!

All you needed was a Cadburys flake! x

Lou Sims said...

Gorgeous photo's - poppies in a field do look majestic and so colourful.

Can't wait to hear the story behind the pub . . . when are you publishing it ! ! !

ps: you should start writing articles for your local paper about your area as I'm sure there would be loads of people interested.

Barrie said...

Great photos! Looking forward to your post about the Crooked Chimney