Sunday, September 02, 2012

Giants Causeway


One place that I have always wanted to visit is the Giants Causeway, on the north coast of Northern Ireland, near to the town of Bushmills, for once the weather was quite nice but it was very busy so we decided to use the park and ride from Bushmills to the Causeway, By the end of the day that turned out to be a very good decision!!! Once we arrived by bus at the visitors centre we walked through and collected our 'hand held information device' and started the walk down to the causeway.


The scenery was stunning and walking the mile down to the causeway was quite gentle and informative, we heard all about the giant Finn McCool and how the causeway was really formed out of volcanic activity millions of years ago. It was certainly spectacular.


The rocks are really quite something to behold, there are thousands and thousands of columns and there were a fair few people down there lapping up the atmosphere.


I wore my trusty crocs which possibly wasn't the best thing to wear, gave Tom a few panics he was convinced I was going to trip over, but I remained in full charge of my feet!!! It even got quite warm and  had to take my coat off. (it was short lived!!)
We spent an hour or so down there looking around before deciding to head back to the top.

We noticed that the weather was starting to change and we didn't think we would get back to the top before the rain started again, so we spotted a bus heading back up and jumped on that. By the time we got back to the visitor centre it was throwing it down, a full blown downpour. We stopped off and had a cup of tea waited for the park and ride bus to turn up and hopped on that back down to the car park. There were loads of people who were soaked as they had parked miles away in one of the car parks at the top!!


We also visited the Mountains of Mourne and as you can see by the photo it was raining!


I suppose for me it was driving through places that I had heard of in the news when I was a teenager, this pretty seaside town is Warrenpoint, a place name that rag a bell, but I couldn't remember why, I googled it and found that it was the scene of one of the worse bombings involving the British Army. To look at it now you can't guess its background. 

Had a busy week at work, at least last week I had the benefit of the Bank Holiday, next week is back to the slog properly :(
Have a good week!




1 comment:

Sue Jones said...

Lovely Photos. We lived in Antrim for two years- brings back memories