Monday, April 06, 2015

Happy Easter one and all!!

Well we are suffering from Airport overload, returning from our own trip away was the start of it swiftly followed by airport runs for Carl and Beth!! More about that later.

Back to our Warsaw trip. On the second day we headed out of the hotel, confused by what the weather had in store for us. It started off chilly but clear so we wore our coats and made our way to the tallest building in town. The palace of Culture and Science. The 1950's ugly building was 'gifted' to the city by Russia Stalin, everyone we spoke to said it was an unwelcome gift but how could they refuse?? Now its used as a cinema, theatre sort of venue. We some apartments and a few offices. The biggest pull is the lift ride to the 30th floor viewing platform. So we headed up there to take a look. 

The view from the 30th floor was good, particularly as the wind had dropped and it suddenly became warm, very warm if you were wearing  heavy coats, like we were!!

There was a nice little cafe up there so we sat and had a cup of tea, I took my coat off and it wasn't until we got back to the hotel much later in the day that I realised I had some how caught the sun and had a very attractive V patch of sunburn on my chest!!

The building definitely dominated the town and actually looked a bit like the Empire state building all lit up at night!

On the last day of our trip we took a guided tour of the City which took in the old town and the Royal palace and gardens.

I found out a few things that I didn't already know, such as Chopin came from Warsaw and this statue of him sitting under a weeping willow is in the Royal Park.

I also found out that Marie Curie also came from Warsaw, which has since come in useful in a quiz as I was asked that exact question!!

Back to the airports, Friday Carl and Grace headed off to Australia. We made an afternoon of it, along with Mad and John (John drove) we went for a trip!! We went to terminal 4 and they queued up to check in. It took an age Carl then text me to say there was a problem with his visa which meant that they had to make a call to the Australian Embassy and held everything up. It was all sorted with that phone call so they sat with us to have a cuppa before the big off. 
When it was time for them to go through security we said good bye and I tried to sneak a photo of them, they decided to stop and take photos of us taking photos of them!!

They got off on time and 26 hours later arrived in Melbourne!! They seem to be having fun!

So that was Good Friday taken care of, we next had to head for Stansted on Easter Sunday with Beth and Hazza, who were off to Spain for a few days.

Here they are scuttling off to check in. They were a lot luckier that we had been the week before, they cleared security in less than half an hour! They seem to be having fun, they have a bit of sun and have been to the beach and the shops. They have also checked out the local Burger King!!

So we now have two return airport trips to fit in over the next couple of weeks. 

I can't believe how fast the holidays have gone, I have been able to get my sewing machine out and I have made myself  a travel wallet to keep my passport and boarding cards in, seeing how I seem to be a bit of a globe trotter at the moment!!

This was my prototype, but I wasn't really happy with the way the bias binding looked on the outside edging, so I decided to make another one and that was more successful. I also unpicked the one I wasn't happy with and rebound the edges so that is now usable !!

I am much happier with the binding on the second one! I also changed the layout so there are four pockets and two bigger pockets behind them. 

I also added a button and some elastic to secure it. All in all I have had a productive weekend!
Shame its work again tomorrow .
I have another really busy week, so will catch up with everyone soon

No comments: