Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Typical Bank Holiday Weekend????


On Thursday the 2nd of May 2013 I was able to tick another thing off of my 'list of things to do'. It was local County Council Election day and I had always wanted to go to the local election count. A friend was involved so I asked if I could attend and watch just for the experience. He went one better and signed me up as a scrutineer. So not only did I get to see the count I also got to check that the right votes were going on the right piles. I watched and spotted 4 papers that were accidentally put on the wrong piles, so I was able to challenge them and have the mistake corrected. Exciting stuff!!! So after the count I headed home finally getting into bed around 2am.

At 4.45am I was woken by the phone, Dad was not well and I had to call an ambulance to get him to hospital. I ended up spending the rest of the day at The Lister in Stevenage. The Doctors got things sorted out and started treatment and pain relief. He is still in there now but hopefully getting closer to coming home. 

We were left with a problem, because Mum is cared for by Dad, she is not able to fend for herself at night. Until now she has refused to go into respite care and this has led to Dad becoming more and more run down. This time she was left with no choice. The hospital put their Clinical Navigator on the case and she sorted it out with with Social services. (I think the job title is a brilliant one!!) Mum was found a place at a care home in Hatfield. She was not too happy to be going but it was the right thing to do. She seems to have settled down OK but she wants to be back at home as soon as possible. I want to make sure that Dad has fully recovered before being thrown into the deep end again.

It seems that every time we hit a Bank Holiday we end up in hospital somewhere!!!


I did get a few spare minutes at the weekend to make some presents for Beth's teachers. I can't believe that as of next Friday she finishes secondary school, apart form doing her exams. Where has the time gone?? Once her exams are over she is a free agent for the summer. She will be starting Oaklands in September doing a child development course. (Fingers Crossed she gets great exam results!!)





No comments: