Sunday, October 19, 2008

End of an era - My Town Monday



Today is my eldest daughter, Laura's birthday, she is 23 years old. I can't believe that it was 24 years ago that I found myself pregnant and attending anti natal appointments at my local hospital, known locally as the QE2.

This week it has been announced that we are one step closer to having no maternity provision at the QE2. This will be a dreadful shame for the towns of Welwyn Garden City and Hatfield and the end of an era of children born at their local hospital.

The QE2 was built in the 1960's and at the time was a medical flagship, with cutting edge facilities. The way that the health care was funded was different back then and most large towns had their own hospital. As time has gone by local area health authorities have been amalgamated until we have arrived at what we have today which is the East and North Herts National Health Service Trust.

The trust have decided that they can only fund one major hospital so some of the major functions will be transferring to Stevenage a town around 10 miles away. Over the past few years this has been gradually happening, the latest department that they have announced will move is the maternity department along with Special Care Baby Unit.

So Happy Birthday Laura, you are going to become one of those rare people who were actually born in the town that your parents live in!!

12 comments:

Barbara Martin said...

Times certainly change, and so do the areas where you live. It's a shame the people in your town will have to travel for a maternity provision. Is your local hospital reminaing?

Lyzzydee said...

The local hospital will remain but as a stripped down version, they plan to take away the accident and emergency soon. Over the past 18 months facilities have gradually been moved so that now we don't have a night time A and E for children. Any child bought into hospital overnight is transferred to the other hospital, Its a real shame.

Jenn Jilks said...

There are big issues in health care these days. I wrote a whole book about senior's health care in Ontario. You really have to do your research.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Sometimes it just seems like things continually grow worse. I remember growing up assuming, they would get better.

Travis Erwin said...

The hospital I was born in is now an assisted living apartment complex for the elderly.

Reb said...

Funny, the hospital in the town I grew up in is called the QEII as well! Being the only hospital in the area though, it is only going to (hopefully) get better as time goes by.

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

I was reading your profile and thought, "wow, we have a lot in common." Then I read your post today and discovered we both have oldest daughters who are 23. Weird. Great photos by the way. I have this "thing" for rows of things and noticed several like that in your slide show. And again...weird. We don't look alike though, so I don't think you're my long-lost twin. LOL

And Travis, that's pretty handy. They adjusted the whole facility so it'd be able to serve you in all the cycles of your life. Better hope they don't turn it into a funeral home next though. LOL ~Karen

suebaru said...

It is sad,I was born there ,as was Holly :(
And yes, we had the pink sky too, and I took photos!!

Lana Gramlich said...

Seems like we always pay more yet get less. Whatever happened to the world?
Happy birthday to Laura! We October babies ROCK! ;)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your Laura!

Travis, the hospital I was born in is also an assisted living facility now!

debra said...

Happy birthday to you both, Lyzzydee.
The hospital in which I was born is now a parking lot. Sad.....

Cloudia said...

Happy birthday, LAURA!
LYZZYDEE: Mahalo (thanks!) for your kind comment on my Comfort Spiral blog of Hawiian musings and photos!
I have bookmarked YOU and will return often for a cuppa with a friend. Please do the same, ALOHA!!!